What is Potassium Deficiency (Hypokalemia) ?
Potassium deficiency (hypokalemia) can be fatal at times if not taken care of. A person may also develop Potassium deficiency due to extra excretion of Potassium or lower quantity of Potassium in daily diet.
Symptoms of Hypokalemia:
Hypokalemia ranges from very ornate to severe level. A person suffering from simple/harmless/primary staged hypokalemia may experience no symptoms at all, but general symptoms of hypokalemia are:
* Patient may experience problems such as Myalgia and muscular weakness
* Patient may experience hyponatremia and also may experience confused i.e. anxiety.
* Acme problem
* Skin related problems such as blistering, skin eruptions, dryness of skin etc.
* Temporary memory loss or problems such as weak memory etc.
* Patient is prone to heart related problems, such as heart deterioration.
* Digestive system also may get affected due to potassium deficiency leading to hypertension, improper sleep, nervous system deterioration, depression, constipation etc.
* In some cases patient may experience ringing/noise in ear.
There can be more than one reasons of potassium deficiency (hypokalemia) in a person such as lower level of Potassium in daily diet (i.e. insufficient potassium consumption), excess
potassium excretion through bowel motions or urine, if a person is undergoing medication that as a side effect causes lowering in Potassium level in body, if a patient is suffering from problems such as diabetic ketoacidosis, related to renal salt transporters (Bartter Syndrome or Gitelman Syndrome), it may lead to hypokalemia, if a person is suffering from diseases which cause excessive excretion of potassium through bowel motion or urination can lead to hypokalemia etc.
Treatments available for hypokalemia:
Your physician may also suggest you medication to improve Potassium level in your body.
In order to avoid Hypokalemia, you should prefer potassium rich food and balanced diet in your daily meal.
Include Potassium rich food are as follow :
Orange, banana, potato, tomato, watermelon, beans, some type of cereals, dried fruits such as peaches, dates, apricots, raisins etc., meat, grapes, milk, egg-yogurt, spinach etc.
Potassium Rich Food